Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Beary Best Hostel, Singapore


Beary Best Hostel.





Just two weeks ago, I was in Singapore and staying at a nearby hostel. Since Beary Best was newly opened and I have heard of the many good reviews on the Beary Good group of hostels, I decided to give it a try this trip. I arrived at midnight and when the taxi stopped outside the hostel, I was a little sceptical and regret over my decision as I saw the newspaper coverings on the front door. The condition doesn't really look so "pleasing" to the eyes but then I was reminded that they are still undergoing renovation.





I was greeted by name when I stepped in and that feels good! The staff was expecting me. He was very welcoming and friendly. If I am not mistaken, his name was Salimi (sorry, if I spelt it wrongly). Well, it was comforting to know that the interior was not what I pictured in my mind when I was standing outside. It looks clean and cozy.





They do sell drinking water at the reception and it costs S$0.60 per bottle. That's very reasonable.





That's the lounge area cum breakfast place. It is crowded in the morning because the breakfast table was so tiny.





The corner table is the breakfast area. It's so tiny and cramp.





The kitchen / pantry. A small table is provided at the corner to make drinks.






The laundry area.





My bed was at the downstairs room and this is the walkway to my room. It has an attached bathroom and there is an additional bathroom outside the room.





This is the 8 beds female room. There was no window and the room has a strong damp smell. Lockers are provided but you need to bring your own padlock. The attached bathroom is big but then again, it is always wet and not so comfortable to use.






There is no bed lamp, just two power points on each bed.





The bathroom upstairs are cleaner as they have separate toilets and bathrooms. There is also a ceiling fan in the bathrooms so it makes the place windy and dry all the time. The bathrooms are basic and very small.






There is also a small patio upstairs.





Every hostel has its plus points and minus points so likewise here. Although the reviews of Beary Good hostel was excellent but I find Beary Best not as fantastic as it seems to be. The staffs here are excellent. Their service is great and they are all very friendly and helpful. Location wise, we had to take Exit A from the Chinatown MRT as Exit D which is nearer is closed for renovation. Exit A to the hostel is about 3 minutes walk.

Facilities are basic. The condition is just ok, not as clean as I expected it to be. The upper rooms seemed to be cleaner as there are enough ventilation upstairs but not the downstairs rooms.

There was a bus load of tourists checking in on my last day. I was glad I have already checked out as the moment the group of them came in, the whole place seemed like a market. It was so crowded and they were walking around with their shoes on! Anyway, whether you have a comfortable stay or not depends also on your luck - the types of room mates and hostel mates that you will get/meet during your stay. Personally I find this place not so cozy for the price that it is charging but overall it should be a satisfactory place if it is not so crowded and if you are lucky to have considerate and clean room mates.






No comments:

Post a Comment